31 Healthier Casserole Options
How many casserole pans do you have?
What an odd question to ask.
But fact is, casseroles are pretty popular one-dish meals. And I gotta tell ya, it seems casserole pans are pretty popular wedding presents. Hence the question about how many pans you have. No matter how long ago that wedding was, casserole pans rarely get booted out of the cabinets.
Casseroles often fall under the categories of "comfort food," "make-ahead," and "freezer-friendly."
Some casseroles remind you of family gatherings. Some casseroles remind you of long, cozy winters. And some casseroles remind you of your mother-in-law (be that good or bad).
Casseroles are good for pot-lucks, using up leftovers, or for a one-pot meal to deliver to a friend in need.
For those reasons I’m sure, we’ve had a request for healthy casserole recipes.
And since we want you to know that our goal is to meet you where you are and to help you enjoy Full Plate Living, we offer these casserole recipes for your cooking and eating pleasure.
31 Healthier Casserole Recipes
- Potato-Crusted Vegetable Quiche
- Pumpkin Polenta Casserole Whole grain cornmeal keeps this at maximum fiber potential. Use only 1/2 the amount of butter to keep it weight loss friendly.
- Creamy Corn Casserole
- Vegetable Casserole with Mashed Potato Topping
- Chickpea Broccoli Casserole - To decrease the sodium here, cut the salt to ½ a teaspoon and use low sodium vegetable broth.
- Brown Rice and Corn Casserole
- Tomato and Kidney Bean Casserole
- Quinoa “Macaroni and Cheese” Casserole with Spinach
- Mediterranean Vegetable Casserole
- Crunchy-topped Lentil Casserole
- Butternut squash, Apple, and Rice Bake
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan
- Creamy Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole - Make this healthier using low-fat or fat-free cheese.
- Layered Mediterranean Vegetable Casserole
- Spinach, Lentil, and Wild Rice Casserole
- Curried Quinoa Bake
- Pizza Quinoa Casserole
- Butternut Squash and Macaroni Casserole Decrease the fat by using light coconut milk and cutting 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Spinach and Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Barley Vegetable Salad
- Vegetable and Bean Shipwreck Casserole - The condensed tomato soup adds a lot of sodium to this casserole. Be sure to rinse and drain the beans and leave the added salt off.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole
- Moroccan Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Topping
- Lazy Lentil Shepherd's Pie
- Polenta Vegetable Lasagna Use whole grain cornmeal for maximum fiber.
- Mexican Tamale Pie To increase fiber, use whole grain polenta or cornmeal.
- Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas Keep the fat low by using low-fat and fat-free items.
- Butternut Squash Polenta Casserole with Greens
- Vegetable Pot Pie - We highly recommend low sodium vegetable stock.
- Curried Almond Butter Farro Casserole
Do you have a question you’d like us to help answer? Email us here!