Broccoli Garlic Pasta
Spaghetti with olive oil and garlic is delicious, but usually drenched in fat from the oil. Here's the healthy, fiber filled version. If you want to add meat, about 6 oz of cooked chicken strips go great with this. Serve with a large salad.
- 1/2 package whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1.5 teaspoons basil dried, divided
- 6 oz Gardein chicken strips or chicken strips (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (optional if using chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional if using chicken)
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup water , leftover from pasta
- salt to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions. When you drain the pasta, keep 1 cup pasta water to use in "sauce". In a separate pot, steam broccoli, until done (about 15 minutes).
If using Gardein chicken or chicken, brown in skillet with celery salt, garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp basil.
Mix all ingredients and toss with "sauce".
In a small pan, add olive oil and thinly sliced garlic, and 1 teaspoon basil and cook on medium low until garlic starts to brown. Remove from heat and add parsley and pasta water. Mix well and then add to pasta mixture. Salt to taste.
Be sure to cook olive oil/garlic sauce on low heat, otherwise the garlic will burn and you'll lose all the fragrance and taste.
Yield: 4 Servings
Serving Size: 2 cups
Calories 310 | Fat 15g | Sodium 300mg | Total Carbs 30g| Dietary Fiber 7g | Protein 17g
Full Plate Living is a small-step approach with big health outcomes. It's provided as a free service of Ardmore Institute of Health.