This traditional moroccan soup kicks the flavor up a notch thanks to all the rich spices used. Serve it with warm pita or a piece of crusty whole-grain bread.
Ingredients1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Dice all vegetables, juice lemon, and rinse garbanzo beans.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and sauté until tender - about 5 minutes.
3.Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the broth, water, tomatoes, garbanzo beans and lentils. Stir well and heat to a boil. Simmer uncovered on low heat for about 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
5. Chop parsley and cilantro.
6. Remove pot from heat source, and use an immersion blender to partially blend some of the soup, for a thicker consistency.
7. Stir in the lemon juice, red pepper flakes, parsley and cilantro, cover and cook for 10 additional minutes.
Make it even more hearty by adding in 1 cup whole wheat orzo when you throw in the lentils.
Nutritional dataYield: 6 Servings